MplsMan

Observations by Doug Allan…

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Other, Other Bike Show



No not THAT show. And not even THIS show. I'm talking about full 'nother step down the retail food-chain to the first (annual?) CONSUMER bike show in Minneapolis. $7 to get in and $2 off with a coupon from their site. Put together by the folks at Minnesota Cyclist I guess. I almost didn't even hear about it. Mainly catering to the rails to trails set, so that's why it slipped under my radar until the last second. I haven't been into a chain-bike-shop in months.

The highlights for me were talking to Miker at Salsa and the omnipresent Gene-O AND the 1st Annual Antique Bike Show. Great selection of old rides. Really nice stuff from Evan Hatcher. These old bikes were worth the price of admission alone. Wish I brought my camera now. 1800's all the way up to 1960 Stingrays. Dang. I need more old bikes. They don't make them any cooler than that. Wooden rims. Cork grips. Leather saddels.

Dissapointments: Overall not bad for a first attempt. I'm glad someone is trying it. Since they had a decent sized track to test ride bikes on, I was looking forward to riding and comparing a cross-check and a castro valley. Even though Surly and Bianchi were both there, those bikes weren't there to ride. I guess I can't expect them to have on hand every model in every size, eh? I heard Surly was only going bring what they could ride to the show. And it looked like it. One long-haul trucker fulled loaded w/ trailer another LHT and a pugsley.